Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Save your cash...don't buy toys.

They say that personality is evident pretty early on in a child's life (not sure who "they" are, but we've all heard this). If that is the case, I am in for quite a ride over the next 18 years. If the characteristics of his parents as children have genetically mutated into Ethan, then I am truly afraid of what lies ahead. I have decided that Ethan is what some refer to as "a handful."

There are no pictures as evidence because I'm usually running to keep destruction (read: Ethan) from reaching full potential.

I am also beginning to notice other babies Ethan's age. I was holding my friend's little girl the other day and while she was stroking my hair gently, I looked over just in time to see Ethan attempting to grasp and pull a tray full of Chick-Fil-A goodies to impending doom, all from the safety of his 5-point harness. I was less concerned that he would be covered in juicy lemonade than I was about my non-dairy waffle fries hitting the floor. Just now, in Target, I see a baby about Ethan's age playing with his feet in the stroller and I look down to see my son single-handedly disassembling his car seat with poo oozing out of his freshly changed diaper. Standing there, with no diaper bag (Katie=way too optimistic about not needing spare diapers), I said to myself out loud, "Now where's a Target Team Member with a wet wipe when you need 'em?"

In addition to his MacGyver skills (I'm convinced Ethan could burn our house down with a q-tip and some olive oil), he can turn pretty much anything into a toy at this point. I do think this is a typical 6-month-old skill but feel free to let me know if I should have my child observed by a professional. Here are some of his favorite "toys:"
  • Electronics: favorites include (but aren't limited to) remote controls, cell phones, and the laptop. If anyone can decode the following text message I'd really appreciate it. "ewrpufidosjcxkl983048;lkmjdsd"
  • Door frames: really all wood is tasty but once he rolls close enough to a door frame it's like he says to himself, "I mean, why not?"
  • All things dirty: diapers, clothes that have been soiled, Phoebe's tongue.
  • Phoebe's treat jar: this is a stainless steel jar that, when dropped on the floor, sounds like someone is being shot in the kitchen. Any sound resembling the "clink" of this jar sends Phoebe running into the kitchen for a treat. Phoebe has gained about 10 lbs. in the past 2 months.
  • Car seat straps, stroller straps, bra straps: he hasn't met a strap he doesn't like.
Having said all this, he is a true joy. Watching him change every day is more of a blessing than I ever imagined. I wouldn't change a thing about you, Ethan. (Especially the parts of you that are so much like your Dad.)

3 comments:

  1. I was laughing out loud reading this! Makes me a little bit thankful I've got a lazy little girl. But can't wait to get them back together and see what they can do together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! You are soo funny... give him a piece of paper! I removed my last one b/c I typed piece wrong... didn't know it would call me out! Yes... The post was removed b/c I didn't want you to think that I could not spell the word, piece. :)

    ReplyDelete