Saturday, January 1, 2011

The Many Meanings of "Da"

Ethan now has a wide variety of words. Correction: Ethan says things that we understand but no one else does. It's pretty easy for people on the street to understand "uh-oh" and "bye-bye" but the frequent "da" leads people to ask, "What's he saying?" Like just now at breakfast, this happened...

Jeffrey: "Ethan, is a banana a fruit or a vegetable?"
Ethan: "Da."

Often Ethan will hand us something and say "da" kind of like "here, take this." Or he might start screaming "da" five seconds later as if to say, "Now give that back right now." So since it's become a universal phrase, here's a quick reference guide for those of you who might spend time with Ethan and wonder what in da world he's saying. [If you're not laughing then re-read that last sentence and at least give me a giggle.]

"Da" =
  • Here.
  • Give that back.
  • Look!
  • There's Phoebe.
  • No.
  • Thank you and/or you're welcome.
  • Check this out. (Different from "here" because he just wants you to look at it - don't take it away.)
  • That's gross. (Usually at mealtimes, accompanied by a violent head shake.)
  • Hey and/or welcome home.
  • I love the dishwasher. (When pointing to his favorite appliance.)
  • I want the other parent. (When being held by one parent and points to the other one.)
  • I want to be put down so that I can destroy something valuable. (When you're holding him and he points to the floor.)
  • That should really be closed. (As he slams a door.)
And my personal favorite...
  • I love you. Good job today. (As he lays his head on my shoulder at night and gives me a pat on the back.)

4 comments:

  1. Too cute Katie! I'll admit, I giggled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It's all giggles and sunshine with this one. And then when you least expect it, she'll hit you with her sweet sentimentality. 'Jeff & Kate + 1' is the best mommy blog out there. Hands down."
    Blogger's World Weekly

    "With Katie Sulka you won't giggle, you'll freaking laugh out loud. Every post boasts her clever wit in story telling."
    Daily Blog Scope

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie this blog is a joy to read....Thanks! I am looking forward to hearing the news when his new cousin is born, keep us posted. Happy New Year! Love to all, Aunt Betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol! I giggled...I didn't need to re-read that sentence. Bahahahaha...

    I'm waiting for him to add a "ta" to that "da".

    Cute boy!
    (Happy New Year, Katie!!)

    ReplyDelete