Saturday, January 15, 2011

Kayaking in the Snow

There is something so great about being snowed in. Life stops. The fast pace slows. Jeffrey stays home from work. Coffee is yummy all day. I could go on and on...

On our little street, there are a handful of kids and more adults who think they are kids. And let's be honest, when the snow starts falling, we all get that "I hope school is canceled tomorrow so I can make a sled out of my garbage can lid and slide down the hill til dark" feeling. We happen to live on the greatest hill around here. While I was busy dumping everything in our pantry into the crock pot, Jeffrey was in the basement figuring out what could potentially pick up the most speed from the street to the creek.

Flash forward to two hours later. This could be an example of one of two things: economical fun or irresponsible parenting. Either way, I'll give you a high five if you can find Ethan in this photo.


This is what we referred to as our "Snow Stroller." Ethan looks appreciative...


As soon as he was down for a nap, this became quite the snow taxi for everyone on our street ages 6 to approximately 40 years young. As if the wave sport's speed wasn't enough, the guys constructed a snow jump which, once you were catapulted into the air, sent your glutes into massive spasm just in time to steer the kayak away from the trees.

I took my sore glutes to the mailbox today to retrieve a huge stack of bills and junk mail, evidence that people are leaving their homes and moving on. But I felt a little pride on my way back into the house when I noticed that the snow jump was there, piled high but surrounded by grass. So I went to the basement and got the kayak back out for one more run...

What I really did was go in and feed this future snow-jumper an entire avocado. He needs his strength for Winter 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment